Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Review: Notes from a big country by Bill Bryson

This book is a compilation of a series of articles originally written for The Mail on Sunday, and I adore it.

Bryson manages to capture the subtle and not-so-subtle nuances of life in the United States and conveys them with humour, wit, and a playful sense of fun. He covers topics such as the ritual of getting the Christmas tree decorations out of the loft, the arrival of autumn, filling in tax forms, diners, and why nobody walks over there.

Each article is designed to stand alone, so the book allows for the pleasurable act of dipping in and out when time permits. I have my favourite articles which I re-read from time to time and they always make me laugh. 

I hope you find some favourites too.

If you like the sound of this, you might also like:

Review written by Ann Brook (Library and Information Assistant)